Thursday, May 1, 2014

The Fortune Hunter by Daisy Goodwin


Wealthy families, the right marriage, the proper husband, dancing balls, horse racing, fox hunting, ​proper seating at dinner parties, and proper everything is what you will find inside THE FORTUNE HUNTER.         

Charlotte is the heiress to the Lennox fortune, and her brother and new sister-in-law to be must make sure the proper suitor is selected for her.  Not just anyone can be the husband of the heir to the Lennox money.

Charlotte is a bit of a rebel, though, and wants to choose the man she loves not someone her family approves of because of his status, and love conquers all as you follow Charlotte and Bay through their ups and downs​.​

If you enjoy "proper" lifestyles with all of its formality, you will love THE FORTUNE HUNTER.  Ms. Goodwin will definitely impress the reader with her attention to detail in every sentence.  You will feel as though you are at the fox hunts and the dinner parties and vividly see the dresses and jewels of each of the ladies.  The characters were very well described and quite authentic.  


For me, THE FORTUNE HUNTER was a bit too detailed, though, and was repetitive, but if you enjoy reading about aristocratic activities, you won't be disappointed.

I am rating the book a 3/5.  For me THE FORTUNE HUNTER was a tedious read. 

This book was given to me free of charge by the publisher in return for an honest review.​


5 comments:

  1. This might make for a good audiobook listen! I love the cover, but I'm not sure if it's so detailed and formal that I could get through it in print form- I usually only give books 50 pages to drag me in. But audiobooks have helped me read books that are a little... dryer? Still, such a gorgeous cover!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. The cover is gorgeous.

    Thanks for stopping, Kate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too bad you didn't enjoy it more, but that's how it is sometimes. Thanks for sharing....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping, Laurel.

    I agree. Sometimes it just doesn't work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I felt the same way towards the author's first book, was was being touted as a cross between Downton Abbey and Portrait of a Lady. I thought there was tremendous potential but ultimately it wasn't the book for me. Your review makes me think I'll feel the same way toward this one, so I'm pretty sure that I'll skip it.

    ReplyDelete